Sunday, June 13, 2010

Outlining a Method

OK yesterday I described my first goal, although I may decide to add more as I continue through the year.  Goals are of course wonderful things.  We know that individuals who seek to fulfil their goals are happier than those who don't.  We are a species who always extends their collective grasp just a little bit farther, but without a clear set of parameters, a goal will fade into the the sea of coulda, shoulda, woulda.  I know that I have had many different goals throughout my life: lose weight, learn to speak fluent Korean, be more social, and become more fit just to name a few.  Most of these goals did not have a clear plan, they were just ethereal dreams that never solidified into anything real.
So here's the plan for this goal. I will:
  • Limit my caloric intake as well as vary my foods by eating a specific number of servings (about 100 calories per serving) of each food group.  This is a method that was really helpful in losing weight for me a number of years ago.  The breakdown is this: protein- 3 servings, carbohydrates- 2 servings, dairy or calcium rich dairy alternative- 2 servings, fresh fruit- 3 servings, and unlimited fresh vegetables.  I am vegetarian, so that will be a huge factor in the selection of foods that I make.
  • Drink a number of calorie free/low calorie drinks throughout the day to stay hydrated and more full.  These drinks include ice water, herbal tea, diet soda, and low calorie drink mixes.
  • Exercise in a variety of ways.  This includes walking daily for at least 15 minutes, and doing some strength exercises (such as push ups) for at least 15 minutes three times per week.  As this exercise becomes easier, I will reevaluate this and increase the intensity.
  • And finally make myself accountable to myself by making myself accountable to you.  Every day I will keep a log of how well I do sticking to the plan.  I may occasionally post my current weight, however I don't currently own a scale, so I can't promise to do that with any regularity.
If this plan proves to be deficient in any way I will adjust it as needed. Tomorrow I will post my first day of eating and exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment